- Founder & Attorney
A native of northwest Iowa, Max Schott founded the firm Max Schott & Associates, PC in 1997, with a focus on disability law, including social security disability, workers' compensation and veterans benefits.
In that same year, Schott took a leadership role in establishing the now-annual 8th Circuit Conference on Social Security Law. The conference helps educate lawyers and advocates on social security disability in order to strengthen the law for individual rights. In the last 10 years, Schott and the attorneys working with him have successfully handled thousands of social security disability cases.
In 1998, Schott was a charter member of the Iowa Workers' Compensation Core Group and was formally inducted into the national College of Workers' Compensation Lawyers in 2010, in recognition of his "long and distinguished career".
In 2009, the National Association of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSCCR) presented Mr. Schott with the Eileen P. Sweeney Distinguished Service Award for his contribution towards ensuring "the availability of advocacy for social security claimants".
In 2010, Mr. Schott served as president of the Iowa Association of Workers' Compensation Lawyers (IWAC).
Areas Of Practice
- Social Security Disability Law
- Workers' Compensation Law - Claimant
- Iowa, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa, 1987
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1987
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa
- J.D. 1987, with honors, Order of the Coif
- St. John's University, B.A. 1965
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, M.A. 1967, A.B.D. 1970
Honors and Awards
- Eileen P. Sweeney Distinguished Service Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Org. of Social Security Claimant's Representatives (NOSSCR)
- Polk County and Iowa State Bar Associations (Workers' Compensation Section, Rules Committee, Section Council)
- Iowa Trial Lawyers Association (Workers' Compensation Core Group)
- Iowa Association of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers (IWAC), President
Past Employment Positions
- Robert W. Pratt Law Office